History of Harrow Hockey Club

We know very little about the clubs history from 1890 until 1908. The first official report on the club's activities appears in the minutes of April 1st 1909. The first ground of the club was at Kenton Lane.  There was a Ladies section in these early days, but due to lack of lady players this was soon disbanded.  In 1912 Harrow were using the Universities and Public Schools Sports Ground then at Wembley Park. Then to Pinner Cricket Club's ground at Pinner Green.

World War One – no play - the Club was reformed at a general meeting held on 18th Sept 1919

The secretary applied to the Urban District Council for an extra pitch for 1920/21 as with the large increase of membership there were four teams, two for ladies and two for men. The minutes of December 18th 1919 record a refusal by the District Council for a ground and that the club was trying for instead a pitch was offered on the grounds of the Hill Pinner Golf Club

In 1921 the club rented two pitches from the derelicts Cricket Club (Harrow Town), at Rayners Lane. In 1922 the Ladies formed their own club known as the Harrow Woman’s Hockey Club with control over their own finances and direction. The club left Rayners Lane due to the pitches becoming waterlogged. Pinner Cricket Club offered a pitch, including use of the pavilion. Due to a lack of numbers the Ladies section was abandoned, but in 1925 Harrow Weald Ladies Hockey Club approached Harrow with a view to amalgamation.

Harrow Weald already had a hockey pitch. By 1930 there were two men's teams The club played on two grounds, one at Harrow Weald and one at Headstone Manor

The AGM of 1939 saw the club disbanded for the duration of another World War.

The club reformed in 1946 with two men's teams. This increased in 1949 to four men's teams playing on a Saturday and some games on Sundays. The club amalgamated with the Harrow Town Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club and played at Rayners Lane again

In 1951 Stanmore Cricket Club offered two pitches and the club moved to Stanmore. By 1957 there were five regular men's teams and a full Sunday programme, and in 1959 with a membership of over 100, a sixth team was formed. By 1963 there was a colts team. 1967 saw the amalgamation of the Golders Green Ladies Hockey Club with three ladies teams bringing the number of teams playing to nine.

In the early seventies indoor hockey was introduced with teams playing in local leagues. Indoor training was established at Harrow Leisure Centre until the cost of hiring the hall became prohibitive. The club travelled to Hartspring Leisure Centre where Hertsmere provided two league pitches. Two pitches were also used at Whitchurch 

With the membership numbers increasing steadily throughout the eighties the demand for pitches grew ever greater. Once more in 1986 the club had to look outside the Borough to Watford to provide a pitch. By 1985 it had become apparent that the future of hockey lay not with the grass pitches but with astro-turf pitches. In order to keep up with the changing times Harrow Hockey Club had to look once more for pitches. With their being no provision in their own Borough, the club had to move out, initially to Willesden Sports Centre, home of the hockey World Cup, and to Woodside Leisure centre in Watford.

By 1986 ten teams were being fielded and there was a thriving Junior section with eighty children playing at Stanmore. In 1989 Harrow Hockey Club started using the astro at Whitefields School and in 1990, Vale Farm. On 1 January 1991, the club moved its’ base from Stanmore to Kenton Cricket Club, in Kenton Lane – was this the original site? With the use of Astroturf pitches dotted around, the club had a secure base to return to after matches. By 1992 all games were being played on Astros, either at Willesden, Vale Farm or Woodside.

In 2001 a pitch at Broadfields Sports Club was used for all home games and the clubhouse used for teas. By 2004 the club had reduced in size and was running 6 sides, 3 Men’s and 3 Ladies, although, on the positive side, the Ladies first team were now playing in the South League. With the pitch at Broadfields wearing out, in 2007 the club moved it's games to a new pitch at West London Academy, which was a long way from it's clubhouse base, still at Kenton.

However, the following year it found a pitch much closer to home at The Jewish Free School in Kingsbury, which it continued to be used until the end of the 2015/16 season.

Although the club had downsized in recent years to 1 Ladies and 2 Men’s sides, there is still a flourishing junior section, which has already begun to bring players through to the senior sides allowing us to field 2 Men's and 2 Ladies sides from the beginning of the 2015/26 season.

The 2016/17 will see Harrow Hockey Club engage in a joint venture with The John Lyon School, with a state of the art hybrid pitch being built on the schools playing fields for sole use by us and being the only purpose built hockey pitch in Harrow.